Welcome Email Sequences are a great way to get people excited about your product to increase free trial conversions and reduce churn.
A new user signed up for your SaaS business and is starting to explore your product. Help your new prospect to get to know your product more efficiently by sending a welcome email sequence to improve the onboarding experience.
Here is why you want to send onboarding emails to your users:
- remind new users why they signed up and what they can archive with your product
- offer clear next steps on how to get started
- show users how to get in touch to get help
What makes a great welcome email sequence?
A great welcome email sequence helps your new users to get to know your product faster and understand the core value it provides to them. This can be done by sharing important next steps and links for further reading. An important part is also to show them where to ask for help.
Content ideas for the first email in your welcome series:
- X steps to successful onboarding
- Checklist - help your user to complete the task with a checklist
- Explain the core value of your product
- Highlight unconventional features
- Video welcome - add a placeholder with a link to a product overview video
- Set expectations - what can the user expect from your welcome series
- Personal tour - let them book a personal demo
Here is a 4 step email sequence for an early Saas business to welcome and onboard new users:
- Welcome To [SaaS business] 👋
Intent: Welcome and next steps (onboarding guide)
When: within the first day
- Create Your First X ...
Intent: Guide new users to perform the next step
When: 2-3 days after signup
- Unlock More Features
Intent: Upgrade to a paid plan
When: At the end of a trial period
- Special offer
Intent: Win users that didn't convert in the first place
When: 1-2 months after the trial period
Email Content Examples for Inspiration
Welcome To [SaaS business]!
I'm [Your Name], the founder of [Your Company]. Thanks for signing up and giving [Your Product] a try.
Here is how you get started:
- [Create a new project]
- [Invite your teammates]
In case you need help or want to give feedback, just hit reply to this email.
All the best,
Create Your First [...]
Get started by creating your first [...] in X simple steps:
- Add a new [...] by clicking the [New X] button on the dashboard.
- Upload [X] and add a descriptive name
- Confirm the creation by clicking the Create button
By creating a new [X] you benefit from [...].
All the best,
Welcome Email Sequences are an effective way to get higher conversions. Keep the following points in mind when designing your welcome email series:
- Include a clear CTA (Call-To-Action) in your SaaS welcome email that brings your new users back to your product
- Keep it clean. Keep it simple. Do not over-design your welcome emails
- Guide users to a specific area of the product if your onboarding is more complex
- Remind your users about the free trial
- Make it easy to upgrade to your paid plan
If you find this interesting, check out our Email Verification API that enables you to detect and block invalid and malicious email addresses. Learn more on our website or directly sign up here.